# Cross-posted from my blog on blogspot as part of clean-up
Baba Ramdev’s deluxe ward at Dehradun’s Himalayan Hospital was not far from that of his ‘fellow faster’ Swami Nigamanand. Yet, while the camera bulbs wouldn’t stop flashing as Ramdev broke his fast following nine days of going without food, hardly anyone batted an eyelid as Nigamanand breathed his last after being on a hunger strike for 115 days. Nigamanand went on a fast unto death to protest against illegal mining on the bank of the Ganga in Haridwar. He started his fast on February 19 from Haridwar. On April 30, the district administration forcibly shifted Nigamanand – a seer at the Matri Sadan Ashram – to the Haridwar District Hospital as his condition started to deteriorate. But even then, he refused to touch food. On May 2, he entered into a coma. He was then shifted to Dehradun’s Himalayan Hospital and put on life support. Nigamanand, 34, finally died on Monday – almost four months after he gave up food.
But GoI is still doing nothing to prevent Ganga. It didn’t even bothered about Swami Nigamananda. What with people supporting Anna Hazare and not Swamiji? It is irony for India that we are just emotional fools and do not think before we act. Ganga couldn’t be cleaned since 1980s plans and not there is a new one. What the hell GoI is doing?
- Swami Nigamanand- an Unsung Swami- Was on Fast to Restore the Holiness and Purity to Mother Gangamayi (ecopackindia.wordpress.com)
- Unsung, this baba starves to death to save the Ganga (thehindu.com)
- Nigamanand gone but his fight to save Ganga still on (chimalaya.org)
- Indian Media: Swami Nigamanand vs. Baba Ramdev (theindiancurry.wordpress.com)
- The sadhu who clicks (chimalaya.org)
- Holy Man Dies After Four-Month Fast Against Polluters is Ignored (treehugger.com)
- River Ganga Running Dry – Climate Change, Hydropower, Unsustainable Water Use To Blame (treehugger.com)